Meatloaf has a bad reputation, but I happen to like it, a lot. It just has to be made well! I loved the idea of these miniature, single serving meatloaves from Sweet Potato Chronicles, and loved the result (with a few adjustments to the original recipe) just as much as the idea. These were moist, flavorful, and great as leftovers.
- 1 glug of olive oil
- half an onion, diced fine
- 1/3 cup celery, diced fine
- 1/3 cup of carrots, diced fine
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 2 lbs ground turkey
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp ketchup
- 1 tsp worcestershire sauce
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Heat olive oil in a pan over medium heat.
- Add your vegetables and the fennel seeds and allow them just start to soften, about 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow to cool a bit.
- In a large mixing bowl, dump your meat, oats, ketchup, sauteed vegetables, and egg (whisk the egg first). You can use a fork or wooden spoon to blend all over your ingredients but the best tools will be your hands. Mix it all together thoroughly.
- If you’ve used your hands you’ll want to give them a really good cleaning before moving on.
- Now use a 1/3 cup measure to scoop up your mixture into your muffin tin.
- In a small bowl, mix together 2 Tbsp of ketchup and 1 tsp of Worcestershire sauce. Use a small spoon to smear this glaze over the top of your mini meatloaves.
- Bake them in the oven for 40 minutes. The internal temperature for meatloaf should be 160 to 165 degrees.
- Serve with mashed potatoes and enjoy!