This recipe is from Une Gamine dans la cuisine, and it is fabulous. These brownies have a regular chocolate brownie layer, a goat cheese layer, and then a melty frosting layer. TO DIE FOR. This one has a lot of steps, but do not fear! They are worth it.
For the brownie layer:
- 8 oz semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 3 Tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 3 pieces
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp. baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
For the cheese layer:
- 6 oz goat cheese, softened to room temperature
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 Tablespoons honey
- 1 egg
For the frosting:
- 4 oz of goat cheese, softened to room temperature
- 1/4 cup (that’s 4 Tablespoons) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 cups of confectioners’ sugar (have at least one more cup on hand, just in case the frosting is too thin)
- 2 Tablespoons of honey
- 1 Tablespoon of milk
- Preheat the oven to 325 F.
- Line a 9×13-inch pan with foil, butter the foil and set the pan aside.
- Prepare the brownie layer: Fill a saucepan with about 1-inch of water and bring to just a simmer. Place the chopped chocolate and 3 Tablespoons of butter into a heat-proof bowl. Set the bowl over the saucepan (be sure that the bottom of the bowl does not touch the water).
- Melt the chocolate and butter, stirring occasionally, until smooth. As soon as it’s smooth, remove the bowl from the heat and set it aside to cool.
- Cheese layer: In a medium-size bowl, beat the cheese and 2 Tablespoons of butter on medium speed for about 1 minute (just to combine).
- Add 1/4 cup of sugar and beat on medium speed until fluffy.
- Add 1/4 cup of flour, honey, and 1 egg. Beat well (about 2-4 minutes). Set the bowl aside.
- Back to the brownie layer: Beat the 2 eggs on medium speed till foamy.
- Add 1 1/4 cups of sugar, milk, and vanilla extract. Beat on medium speed for about 2 minutes.
- Add the cooled, melted chocolate. Beat till combined.
- Using a large spatula, stir in 1 cup of flour, baking Powder, salt.
- Spread half of the chocolate batter into prepared pan.
- Spread the cheese filling over the chocolate batter.
- Using large spoon-filled dollops, drop the remaining chocolate batter over the cheese filling.
- Drag a thin metal spatula through both the cheese and chocolate mixtures. Try not to overdo it, a few swirls here and there will go a long way.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes, or until the center is set.
- Remove the pan from the oven and onto a cooling rack. Cool completely before frosting.
- For the frosting: In a large bowl, beat the softened goat cheese and butter together on medium-low speed till creamy.
- Add the confectioners’ sugar in 1/2 cup increments, beating well after each addition.
- Add the honey and milk. Beat on medium-high speed until creamy.
- Spread over the cooled brownies and cut into squares.