I made these for Employee Appreciation Week at my work, and they really were fun to make (as you’ll see from the many photos I took)! This recipe for funfetti from scratch comes from Freutcake, and it is fabulous!
I made the silly mistake of buying sprinkles with brown sprinkles in the mix, and I did not want brown spots in my funfetti so I spent a good hour picking out the brown sprinkles before I even began baking. So, for all of you readers, if you decided to make these, do not buy sprinkles with brown ones unless you are okay with brown spots in your otherwise colorful funfetti cupcakes!
Ingredients for Vanilla Funfetti Cake:
- 5 large egg whites at room temperature
- 3/4 cup whole milk, at room temperature
- 2 1/4 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups sifted cake flour
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature and cut into cubes
- 1/3 cup rainbow sprinkles
Ingredients for Vanilla Frosting:
- 3 sticks + 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened and cut into cubes
- 3 cups sifted powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons milk (I used nonfat)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- generous pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line cupcake tins with paper liners
- In a medium bowl or measuring cup, combine and stir the egg whites, 1/4 cup of milk, and the vanilla. Set aside (somewhere your cat can’t get to it-mine did and quickly threw it up, making more work for me).
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the dry ingredients together on low speed (I use the “stir” setting on my mixer) for 30 seconds.
- Add the butter and remaining 1/2 cup of milk, and mix on low speed until just moistened. Increase to medium speed and mix for 90 seconds.
- Scrape the sides of the bowl and begin to add the egg mixture in 3 separate batches; beat on medium speed for 20 seconds after each addition.
- Divide the batter between cupcake tins filling cups 3/4 of the way full.
- Bake 15-18 minutes, rotating tins half way through baking.
- When the cupcakes are completely cool, frost them!
- For the frosting: whip butter for 8 minutes on medium speed in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Butter will become very pale & creamy.
- Add remaining ingredients and mix on low speed for 1 minute, then on medium speed for 6 minutes. Frosting will be very light, creamy, and fluffy.
- Once cupcakes are frosted, top with sprinkles to make them more fun!