I have always been a big fan of breakfast for dinner, and recently, my mom gave me her old waffle iron. At that moment, this meal was destined to be. I had some fun with the photography for this one, I had never noticed how lovely eggshells could look.
I had some trouble with the first few waffles sticking to the waffle iron because I had never used it before and didn’t know just how much butter I needed to use to grease the plates. You can see in some photos where some of the waffle got ripped off from being stuck. My advice: use LOTS of butter to prevent such sticking.
I found this recipe at The Secret Life of a Chef’s Wife. They called them crispy, but mine didn’t get crispy at all. I don’t know if they cooked them longer or if it was my waffle iron or what, but they didn’t turn out how I expected. BUT that does not mean they weren’t yummy and that I won’t make them again! I will absolutely make them again.
- 2 eggs (separated)
- 2 cups buttermilk*
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup butter for greasing waffle iron.
- Place the egg yolks in a large mixing bowl.
- Whisk the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt) together in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Add the buttermilk to the yolks and beat well.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix until smooth. Don’t over mix.
- Place the whites in bowl of a mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Beat egg whites until soft peaks form.
- Fold the beaten egg whites carefully into the batter until just incorporated.
- Bake in hot waffle iron until steaming stops.
- Top with your favorite syrup.
- Serve with your favorite breakfast side dishes. I chose bacon!